Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

The downturn of the economy restricts opportunities ...

It is heartbreaking to hear over and over again that a child cannot attend dance because the parents cannot afford it. Dance can be an expensive hobby; however, at the recreation centers and YMCAs they offer cheaper dance classes to allow more students the chance to experience the art. I teach at recreation centers and YMCAs and our enrollment has dropped 50% since last year and is continuing to decrease in number. I wish I could offer a free dance class for those students who cannot participate because of monetary constraints. My family never had enough money to send me to dance, but I was blessed with scholarships which allowed me to continue to take class - in which I am so grateful. If I ever win the lottery, I am going to create a dance scholarship fund, giving children the opportunity to take dance classes even though they cannot afford to.

No comments:

Post a Comment